Pets, like children have a way of getting into trouble when we least expect it. We pet proof our indoors but what about the outdoors. Our gardens are to be enjoyed by not only us but our pets as well so care must be taken to ensure their safety. Probably the best idea is to have a large pen that pets can roam around safely. Otherwise they should always be supervised. When out on public trails they should be monitored or on leash. Your pets do have a natural sense of smell to detect unsuitable material but should still be protected from our man made dangers.
Listed here are a few of the obvious dangers that our gardens pose to our furry best friends:
Yes, even your decomposing compost can be a hazard. As the compost rots down molds grow that release toxins which are dangerous to pets. Ensure your pets cannot access your compost.
TOXIC COMPOUNDS used on plants.
Fertilizers, insecticides and pesticides must always be kept in sealed containers and stored in an area that your pets cannot reach. Your pets are curious and some of these products are tempting for them as they smell and may even taste good. If you must treat an area with any of these products your pets should be kept away from the treated area for a few days. Read the instructions carefully always. Better yet, practice organic meathods of gardening. Even then, products used should be kept away from pets.
PRODUCTS TO CONTROL PESTS
Many gardeners have problems with slugs, rodents and even ants. Better to use traps than chemicals. All of these products are hight toxic to yout pets. If using poisons ensure your pets cannot capture and eat the poisoned pests such as mice, moles or gophers.
Many plants that we regularly grow are poisonous to our pets causing severe stomach and intestinal effects. The list is very long but here are some of the more common poisonous plants to watch out for:
BULBS: Tulips, Daffoldiles, Autumn Crocus, Glads, Flag Iris